What Should I Wear?
Other than the actual act of having your photos taken, this is typically the part of the process that will give people the most stress. Take a deep breath and remind yourself that you do have the talent to pull together outfits that will look great. Be sure to choose clothes that will be comfortable and each family member’s individual style. If the outfit you put on makes you feel amazing than it will be reflected in your images!
Here are my top tips to styling your family:
1. Choose a color scheme and mingle it among your family. It’s better to coordinate than match. A great resource for color palettes is design seed. When choosing a color palette, stick with 3-4 colors.
2. Shop your closet for your favorite pieces, accessories, and shoes. It’s always nice to have a new outfit for a photo session, but it’s not necessary to go for broke to outfit everyone with a new wardrobe for the occasion.
3. Adding layers and textures to your outfits will give the images depth. Look for pieces that are classic instead of the current trend. Solid color palettes or small patterns work best for the camera. Avoid logos and clothing with text.
4. Make accessories work for your outfit! Bring a few extra accessories with you if you are having a hard time deciding.
5. When shopping for clothes, be sure to go for clothes that are fitted well and tailored for your body. Baggy clothing doesn’t photograph well and will look sloppy. When shopping for your children’s clothes, go for a size smaller than you normally buy. This isn’t the time to purchase an outfit that they can grow in to. Feel free to bring more than one outfit with you to the session. Feel free to text me while your shopping if you are having a hard time deciding on outfits. I would love to help you!
6. Pay attention to shoes! In general, it’s best to avoid white shoes. The bright contrast of white on your feet will not balance out your outfit well. Shoes should also be clean. Heels are great for mom, as long as you are comfortable in them. It’s a good idea to bring flats for walking in between locations, paticularly if we will be walking through fields.
What to Wear for a Fall Family Photo Session
What to Wear for a Maternity Photo Session
What to Wear for a Newborn Photo Session
Style boards designed by Shannon Moyer Szemenyei, writer, artist, interior designer, mother and blogger of Sweet Stellas. Like these design boards? Check out her other amazing creations and like her on Facebook.